Ruth Evelyn Huyser Foster

April 24, 1925 - Jan. 13, 2017

Ruth Foster went to her heavenly home after a short illness on Jan. 13, 2017.  Ruth Evelyn Huyser was born to Quirinius Huyser and Gertrude Mos Huyser on April 24, 1925, at her family’s farm near Big Timber.  

She was the youngest of four siblings. Quincy, Dora, and Olive chose her name from the Bible. On her family’s  farm all the children pitched in. She learned there to appreciate the simple things of life. There was no plumbing or electricity.          

The family was close and their grandparents made wooden toys and rag dolls for them. They played in the creek and floated leaves down as boats. They made mud pies and stripped little blossoms off of flowers and collected them for “coffee”.          

Her father and older brother harvested ice slabs from the local pond and stored them in underground silos to use in the icebox in warmer months. Everyone in the family took baths on Saturday and went to church on Sunday.

All of the Huyser children attended the nearby school. It was about a mile away and if they couldn’t walk due to weather, they went on a horse drawn wagon. Her maternal Grandma Mos was very progressive and insisted that Ruth move to town, where she had running water and electricity, to finish high school. She won a spelling bee and earned a teaching certificate to teach children in her local school.  

She wanted to adventure away from home and decided to attend Bob Jones University. After one year, she considered taking a job as an airline reservation agent but she didn’t want to be too far from home. She came back to Montana and worked for Streeter Brothers Title company in Billings.  

She was returning on the train to Billings from visiting her parents when the conductor sat down and talked to her.  He asked her if she needed a ride home and while dropping her off he asked her out to dinner. He swept her off her feet with talk about his plans to go camping and traveling. Ruth and John “Charles” Foster were married in 1957.

Their first daughter, Joan Ruth, was born Oct. 10, 1959. From that point on Ruth concentrated on the family and home. Her mother in law, Edna Stup, and later on, Ruth’s parents came to live with them. Charles’ son Bill lived with them at times and he was always welcomed and cared for by her.   

Their second daughter Patricia Lynne was born in 1966. There were three generations living happily together under one roof. She loved and cared for them all.  

She accepted Christ at a young age and her mission field was her home and family. Love, care and kindness were her goals. They traveled often by train to visit family or by RV in search of Charles’ family history. She was his faithful companion and navigator on their adventures.

When Charles retired from the railroad in 1977, he moved the family to Sequim, Washington. There in the banana belt they built a home together. They attended Sequim Bible Church and she was his copilot on the afternoon drives he loved to take.  

When Charles passed away in 1989 she probably wondered what to do with herself. She bought a new car and traveled to Montana on her own to visit family a few times.  

Before long she was a grandma! Sydney Tuss was born Sept. 6, 1991, Colton Hornback was born Sept. 24, 1991, Morgan Tuss was born July 7, 1993, and Carlee Hornback was born Feb. 25, 1994.   She found new purpose in being a grandma.   

In 1997 she moved to Monroe, Washingston with daughter Pattie “Lynn” and her family.  She joined the congregation of Monroe Community Chapel and made lasting friendships there.  

She made one last trip back home  in 2015 for a family reunion at the farm where she was born. She passed away after a short illness on Jan. 13, 2017.

She was predeceased by her husband Charles and stepson Bill. She is survived by her daughters Joanie Tuss (Mike) and Patricia “Lynn” Hornback (Ron) and her five grandchildren John (Amy), Sydney, Colton, Morgan and Carlee.  

Her family wishes to thank Dr. Wendy Coffman and staff at Providence Medical Group Monroe and Evergreen Health Hospital Monroe for their compassionate care.

A memorial celebration of her life was held at 1 p.m. at Cascade Community Church in Monroe. Her ashes will be carried home and buried next to her husband Charles in Lavina on April 22. In lieu of flowers please support the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch,


Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.